Natural Philosophy Laboratory at the University of Glasgow's Boyd Orr Building, 1972. Natural Philosophy is better known today as Physics.
The Boyd Orr Building was designed primarily to provide the most up-to-date facilities for the teaching of Basic Science, and is equipped with modern laboratories. This photograph shows electrical equipment and apparatus including voltmeters and ammeters on each bench.
The teaching and study of natural philosophy at the University of Glasgow dates from 1577. In 1986 the departments of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy were united under the new Chair of Physics and Astronomy.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU10/14
University of Glasgow
Boyd Orr Building, classrooms, electical apparatus, electical instruments, laboratories, natural philosophy, physics, scientific instruments, University of Glasgow buildings