Exterior of the University of Glasgow's Bower Building, 1950s. It was named for Frederick Orpen Bower, Professor of Botany at the University 1885-1925.
Between 1870 and 1901, botany lectures were given in a tower in the east quadrangle of the Gilbert Scott Building. In 1900 work began on a new building on the south side of University Avenue, designed by the architect John J Burnet. It was opened on 13 June 1901 by Sir Joseph Hooker as part of the University's ninth jubilee celebrations.
The building had two large teaching laboratories, an herbarium on two floors with a small library, a museum occupying three floors, a 300-seat lecture room, staff offices and a workshop. It was seriously damaged by fire in 2001.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU9/2
University of Glasgow
botany, Bower Building, fires, pepperpot turrets, Scots Baronial, University of Glasgow buildings