A view of the western end of the campus of the University of Glasgow and the city streets beyond, looking west from the bell tower c 1964.
The houses on Professors' Square can be seen bottom right. To the left is the West Medical Building, completed in 1907. Next to it, work has begun on the site of the new Biochemistry building (subsequently named the Davidson Building) which opened in 1964. The Zoology Building is in the centre of the picture (across the road from the West Medical Building). The light-coloured structure next to Zoology is the Chemistry Department's Joseph Black Building. An extension to the Natural Philosophy Building is under construction immediately west of Professors' Square.
The buildings of Glasgow Western Infirmary stand behind the Zoology Building. The cranes of Clydeside docks and shipyards stand out through the smog in the far distance, to the left.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU3/4
University of Glasgow
atmospheric pollution, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Davidson Building, Gilbert Scott Building, Glasgow Western Infirmary, Joseph Black Building, Kelvin Building, Natural Philosophy Building, panoramas, Professors' Square, smog, University of Glasgow buildings, West Medical Building, Zoology Building