View of Kelvingrove Park and Park Circus from the University of Glasgow's bell tower in the early 1970s.
Kelvingrove Park is in the foreground with the Highland Light Infantry Memorial (unveiled 1906) at the foot of the slope, in the foreground, and overlooking it on Woodlands Hill is the Monument to Field Marshall Earl Roberts (1916), to the far left.
Woodlands Hill was first laid out for housing in the 1830s and 1840s, with the houses on the upper slopes designed by architect Charles Wilson and built 1855-1863. Most of the houses were constructed with columned entrance halls, rich plaster work and marble chimneypieces. The three towers of Trinity College (1857), and the tower of Park Church (1858) stand immediately behind Park Gate and Park Circus.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU5/9
University of Glasgow
churches, colleges, Free Church of Scotland, Glasgow Free Church College, Highland Light Infantry Memorial, housing estates, Kelvingrove Park, memorials, Monument to Field Marshall Earl Roberts, panoramas, Park Church, parks, sculptures, statues, Woodlands Hill