The view from the top of the bell tower at the University of Glasgow, looking south, in the early 1970s.
In the foreground are the Kelvingrove bowling greens, separated by the tree-lined Kelvin Way. There are tennis courts to the north of the greens on the east side of the road. Part of the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum can be seen bottom right.
There are ships of the Houlder Line, Blue Star Line, and Federal Line in the middle distance, berthed at Queen's Dock and Prince's Dock. The docks have been in-filled and redeveloped, and now contain the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre on the north bank of the river, with the Science Museum and Imax Cinema on the south bank. However, the famous Finnieston Crane remains at the beginning of the 21st century. It is a hammerhead crane, 175 feet high and built in 1932 to install boilers and engines in newly-constructed ships but also to load locomotives on ships.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU5/7
University of Glasgow
Blue Star Line, cranes, Federal Line, Finnieston Crane, Houlder Line, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Kelvingrove bowling greens, Kelvingrove Park, parks, Prince's Dock, Queen's Dock, River Clyde, rivers, tennis courts, University of Glasgow, University of Glasgow buildings