The east front of the University of Glasgow's Adam Smith Building, 1973.
By the 1920s there was little available land left on the original Gilmorehill site for expansion, and so building began to the north of University Avenue. A University development zone was designated in Hillhead in 1945 and the area of the campus trebled as specialised buildings such as the Library, the Refectory and the Adam Smith Building were erected there.
The Adam Smith Building, designed by the architects David Harvey, Alex Scott & Associates, was opened in 1967. Situated at the end of Bute Gardens, on the hill overlooking University Gardens, it is literally overshadowed by the towering Library a few yards to the east.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU6/3
University of Glasgow
Adam Smith Building, David Harvey, Alex Scott & Associates, Economics, Social Sciences, University of Glasgow buildings