The Thomson Building at the University of Glasgow, c 1978.
The Anatomical Block was designed by architect John J Burnet and built in 1902 and was named for Allen Thomson, Professor of Anatomy from 1848 to 1877. The building houses the Anatomy Museum, now known as the Laboratory of Human Anatomy. An extension to the building was built in 1908 and another was designed by the architects Dorward, Matheson, Gleave & Partners and added in 1977.
Burnet played a significant part in shaping the appearance of the University in the first half of the 20th century. He also designed the John McIntyre Building and its extensions; the Botany (now known as the Bower) Building; the original Engineering building along with its 1920 extension; the Zoology (now the Graham Kerr) Building; Numbers 2 to 10 University Gardens; the Hunter Memorial; and (with his partner Norman A Dick), the University Chapel.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU7/1
University of Glasgow
Anatomical Block, Anatomy, Anatomy Museum, architects, Laboratory of Human Anatomy, museums, professors, Thomson Building, University of Glasgow buildings