Interior of Bute Hall, University of Glasgow, looking towards Randolph Hall during a graduation ceremony in 1986.
Between 1870 and 1877, the architect George Gilbert Scott refined and simplified his design for the University's Great Hall, often following the advice of the Marquess of Bute whose financial gift (with another from the shipbuilder Charles Randolph) had enabled work to continue on the project. The interior was turned around, with the focus of the building to the south rather than to the west as originally conceived. A large gallery across the whole east side was replaced with a smaller gallery running round three sides of the hall. A decorated wooden screen behind the raised platform divided the space, with the large space named the Bute Hall, and the smaller one behind the screen, the Randolph.
In this picture the Senate is on the central platform and graduands (students who have passed their degree examinations and are awaiting graduation) are seated in the rows at the bottom of the photograph. The Principal is presiding, the mace on the table being the symbol of the University's authority.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU4/18
University of Glasgow
auditoria, auditoriums, Bute Hall, Gilbert Scott Building, graduands, graduates, graduation ceremonies, graduations, halls, principals, Randolph Hall, Senate, students, University of Glasgow buildings