A corner of the University of Glasgow's library showing the upper balcony level, 1930s. The elegantly decorated cast-iron columns support the gallery's massive wooden roof. The cupboards with sliding doors hold volumes too large for the library shelves.
From 1870 to 1968 the University Library was situated here in the north front of the west quadrangle and central section of the Gilbert Scott building on Gilmorehill. In 1939 the University's celebrated circular reading room was opened on the opposite side of University Avenue, and in 1968 the library itself was moved to its new multi-storey home on Hillhead Street. The old library premises were converted to become dining rooms and (in the central section) the new home of Glasgow University Archives. When the archives were relocated in 1996-1997, this part of the building was re-modelled as a reception area with associated facilities for the Hunterian Museum.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU2/4
University of Glasgow
books, cast-iron columns, galleries, Gilbert Scott Building, Gilmorehill Building, Glasgow University Archives, Glasgow University Library, libraries, reading rooms, University of Glasgow, University of Glasgow buildings