Statue of St Mungo as the patron of Art and Music at the north entrance to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, 1957. The sculptor was George Frampton, and the statue was unveiled in 1900. The south front of the University of Glasgow's Gilbert Scott Building looms in the background.
According to Jocelyn's Life of Kentigern the saint (nicknamed "Mungo") was born c 518 at Culross in Fife and brought up by St Serf at the monastery there. By 543 he had began missionary work at Cathures on the Clyde, the site of modern Glasgow. The Christian King of Strathclyde, Roderick Hael, welcomed Mungo and procured his consecration as bishop, which took place about 540. For thirteen years he preached in the area, living an austere life. A large community grew up around him and ultimately it became known as Glasgow.
About 553 Mungo travelled to Wales, where he visited St David and founded St Asaph's Monastery before returning to Glasgow about 581. He died c 603 and is reputedly buried on the spot where Glasgow Cathedral now stands.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU1/89
University of Glasgow
art galleries, Gilbert Scott Building, Gothic Revival, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, museums, saints, sculptures, spires, statues, towers, University of Glasgow buildings