The University of Glasgow from the west, c 1900.
The Gilbert Scott Building opened in 1870. The east quadrangle housed the science and medical departments, with law and divinity classrooms in the south front. The west quadrangle housed Arts, including Mathematics and Natural Philosophy. The Senate room and office of the Clerk of the Senate were located under the tower (completed in 1891), with the library and Hunterian museum in the central section of the north front. There were thirteen houses for the Principal and Professors (the four-storey blocks in the centre of this picture) arranged on three sides of an open square facing the west quadrangle.
In the foreground are the buildings of the Glasgow Western Infirmary, which opened in 1874. In the background, to the right of the University building, is Park Circus, with the towers of Trinity College and Park Church. University Avenue is on the left and the building at 11 University Gardens, just visible, is now George Service House. TheGlasgowStory office was set up in a room in the basement there in 2000.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU1/46
University of Glasgow
Bute Hall, east quadrangle, George Service House, Gilbert Scott Building, Glasgow Free Church College, Glasgow Western Infirmary, Gothic Revival, Hatii, infirmaries, Park Church, quadrangles, spires, TheGlasgowStory, towers, Trinity College, University of Glasgow buildings, voluntary hospitals, west quadrangle