The Kelvingrove Street entrance to Kelvingrove Park, looking north-west to the University of Glasgow c 1900. The wrought-iron gates were erected in 1897.
The sky line is dominated by the spire and south front of the Gilbert Scott Building. On its east side is the hexagonal building known as Abbot's Kitchen, which housed the chemistry laboratory.
In the centre right of the picture is the Stewart Memorial Fountain, erected in the park in 1872 to commemorate the services of Lord Provost Robert Stewart of Murdostoun in promoting the Loch Katrine water scheme during the 1850s. Behind it in the distance, right, is the Gilmorehill Church. It became the Gilmorehall, where generations of students sat their examinations, until it was converted at the end of the 20th century to become a centre for Theatre, film and Television.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU2/80
University of Glasgow
Abbot's Kitchen, chemistry laboratories, churches, Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies, entrances, gates, gateways, Gilbert Scott building, Gilmorehill Church, Gothic Revival, Kelvingrove Park, Loch Katrine Water Scheme, parks, spires, Stewart Memorial Fountain, towers, University of Glasgow, University of Glasgow buildings, wrought-iron