The University of Glasgow, looking north-west from Kelvingrove Park, 1965.
There have been many alterations and additions to the University since the opening of the Gilbert Scott Building in 1870. At the eastern end of the Gilbert Scott Building is the James Watt Building, completed in 1959 to house the Engineering departments. On the right are the concrete towers of the new Glasgow University Library, then under construction. This first phase would not be completed until 1968, followed by phase two in 1982-1983 and phase three in 1986.
To the left of the flagpole, the top of the Davidson building can be seen above the tops of the trees. Completed in 1963 as the Biochemistry Building, it became home to the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Division of the Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences in 1994.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU1/50
University of Glasgow
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Division of the Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Biochemistry Building, cranes, Davidson Building, Engineering, engineers, Gilbert Scott building, Glasgow University Library, Gothic revival, James Watt Building, Kelvingrove Park, libraries, molecular biology, spires, towers, University of Glasgow buildings