Drawing of the design for the south front of the University of Glasgow's Gilbert Scott Building, c 1870. The drawing gives an indication of how the architect George Gilbert Scott had originally envisaged the tower and spire.
George Gilbert Scott (1811-1877) was born in Gawcott in Buckinghamshire. A leading architect of the Gothic revival, he felt that Gothic design suited most modern building types and materials.
Scott was the architect of the Albert Memorial, St Pancras Station, the Home Office and Colonial Office, and the India Office on Whitehall. In Oxford, he designed the Martyrs' Memorial, St John's College Chapel and Exeter College Chapel. In Scotland he was the architect of the Episcopal Cathedral in Edinburgh and St Mary’s Cathedral in Glasgow. He also worked on the restoration of various cathedrals, including Westminster Abbey, Ely, Gloucester, Salisbury, and Worcester. Knighted in 1872, he was Professor of Architecture at the Royal Academy 1866-1873.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU1/64
University of Glasgow
architects, architects' drawings, clock towers, clocks, elevations, Gilbert Scott Building, Gothic revival, spires, University of Glasgow