The tower and spire of the Gilbert Scott Building, University of Glasgow, c 1960.
When the new University building opened in 1870, the tower, cloisters, great hall and west quadrangle remained unfinished. New funds became available in 1877 but the architect George Gilbert Scott died a year later, in 1878. It was left to his son, John Oldrid Scott, to finish the work.
The tower was finished between 1887 and 1891, with four turrets and an open lattice stone spire. This was John Oldrid's own design, his father having originally designed a striking but rather heavier-looking clock tower. The son's spire had a light, elegant feel, which perfectly complemented the rest of the building.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU5/21
University of Glasgow
architects, Gilbert Scott Building, Gothic revival, spires, towers, University of Glasgow