The University of Glasgow's Gilbert Scott Building, looking north-west from Kelvingrove Park in 1882.
The new University building opened officially in 1870, but because of a shortage of money the west side of the west quadrangle, the cloisters and great hall and the spire on the tower had not yet been built. A gift from the Marquess of Bute and a legacy from the industrialist and former student Charles Randolph allowed the cloisters and great hall (which was divided and named the Bute and the Randolph Halls) to be completed in 1882. The spire was added in 1883 but the west quadrangle was not completed until 1929, and then to a different design to that envisaged by the original architect, Gilbert Scott.
The small hexagonal building in the centre of this picture is the chemistry laboratory, modelled (like one erected at Oxford) on the famous medieval Abbot's Kitchen at Glastonbury Abbey. The classically-styled building on the far right is Wellington Church.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU1/63
University of Glasgow
Abbot's Kitchen, architects, Bute Hall, chemistry laboratories, churches, cloisters, east quadrangle, Gilbert Scott Building, Gothic revival, halls, Kelvingrove Park, parks, quadrangles, Randolph Hall, spires, towers, University of Glasgow, Wellington Church, west quadrangle