Advertisement for the Glasgow Royal Infirmary in Ygorra, January 1939.
During the 1930s Glasgow Corporation's Health Department introduced a comprehensive health service at its seventeen hospitals and asylums for the care of the sick poor, who would once have sought treatment at a voluntary hospital. The Royal responded to suggestions that this might signal the end of independent voluntary hospitals, by redefining its role and advertising to the public the important specialist services and advanced medical equipment and facilities it offered to the community.
The infirmary's managers emphasised its excellent reputation as a teaching hospital. They pointed to the importance to the city of its accident and emergency facilities. In 1931 the Royal opened a School of Massage, and large sums were invested in its X-ray department. A rehabilitation clinic (which became the orthopaedic department) was opened during the Second World War, providing much more effective treatment and after-care for the victims of fractures.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/18
Glasgow University Archive Services
accident and emergency departments, advertisements, charities, fractures, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow Royal Infirmary School of Medicine, infirmaries, medical students, medicine, nurses, operating theatres, orthopaedic departments, orthopaedics, professors, School of Massage, St Mungo's College of Medicine, surgeons, surgery, teaching hospitals, voluntary hospitals, X-Rays, Ygorra