Advertisement for the Glasgow Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital in Ygorra, January 1938.
The Glasgow Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital began as a dispensary in 1872. In 1880 it was reorganised as the Hospital and Dispensary for Diseases of the Ear, and in 1905 its name was changed to include diseases of the nose and throat. In 1926 the hospital moved from Elmbank Crescent to new premises in St Vincent Street.
With the creation of the National Health Service the hospital was placed under the Glasgow Western Hospitals Board of Management and in 1974 it was transferred to the Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. The hospital closed in 1982 and ENT services were transferred to other hospitals in the district.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/17
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, charities, dispensaries, ENT services, Glasgow Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, Glasgow Western Hospitals, Greater Glasgow Health Board, Hospital and Dispensary for Diseases of the Ear, infirmaries, National Health Service, NHS, voluntary hospitals, Ygorra