Advertisement for the Elder Cottage Hospital in Ygorra, January 1938.
The Elder Cottage Hospital (and the nurses training school across the road) was founded in 1903 by Isabella Elder in memory of her husband John Elder, a Glasgow shipbuilder. It was located on the corner of Drumoyne Drive and Langlands Road, and was a general medical and surgical hospital that specialised in the treatment of industrial injuries. In 1948 it became a surgical unit under the Board of Management for Glasgow South Western Hospitals. The hospital was transferred to the South Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board in 1974. It closed in 1987 and was converted to residential use.
Isabella Elder was one of Glasgow's greatest benefactors. In Govan she established Elder Park and set up a School of Domestic Economy. She endowed two Chairs at the University of Glasgow, and provided funding for Astronomy lectures and building work at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. She also donated North Park House to Queen Margaret College and funded the first courses at the College's School of Medicine.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/17
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, charities, colleges, Elder Cottage Hospital, Elder Park, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Glasgow South Western Hospitals, Greater Glasgow Health Board, Industrial injuries, infirmaries, North Park House, nurses training schools, Queen Margaret College, School of Domestic Economy, shipbuilders, voluntary hospitals, women, Ygorra