Advertisement for the Glasgow Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital in Ygorra, January 1937.
The Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital was founded by Dr James Wilson in 1834 in Greyfriars Wynd as the Glasgow Lying-In Hospital and Dispensary, to help poor and homeless women. As a voluntary hospital, it depended on bequests, subscriptions and other donations to meet building, staff and maintenance costs. From the beginning, the staff admitted unmarried as well as married women. The hospital moved to St Andrew's Square in 1841 and in 1860 to the corner of Rottenrow and Portland Street, from where it derived its nickname "The Rottenrow". In 1866 its name was changed to the Glasgow Maternity Hospital and, in 1880, the old Rottenrow building was demolished and a new hospital built on the site.
The Rottenrow became the Glasgow Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital in 1914. In 1948 it was placed under the Board of Management for Glasgow Maternity and Women's Hospitals and its name was shortened to the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital. In 1974 it was transferred to the Eastern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board and from 1993 it was the responsibility of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary University NHS Trust. In 2001 the hospital moved to new premises at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and the Rottenrow buildings were demolished in 2002.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/16
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, Glasgow Lying-In Hospital and Dispensary, Glasgow Maternity Hospital, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow Royal Infirmary University NHS Trust, Glasgow Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital, Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital, Greater Glasgow Health Board, infirmaries, maternity hospitals, The Rottenrow, voluntary hospitals, women, X-ray departments, X-rays, Ygorra