Advertisement for the Glasgow Western Infirmary in Ygorra, January 1936.
There had been two main reasons for the construction of a new voluntary hospital in Glasgow's West End. The first was to provide teaching opportunities for medical students at the University of Glasgow's new home on Gilmorehill. The second was provide adequate medical facilities for the city's rapidly growing population, particularly those living in working in the industrial areas to the west of the city centre, such as Partick and Scotstoun.
Then Western Infirmary opened in 1874. Like all voluntary hospitals it depended on bequests, subscriptions and other donations to maintain the building and medical services, and made frequent cash appeals to the Glasgow public in advertisements such as this one.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/15
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, charity appeals, Glasgow Western Infirmary, infirmaries, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, Ygorra