Advertisement for the Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital, in Ygorra, January 1936.
Glasgow's first Homoeopathic Dispensary was founded in 1880. In 1909 a new Dispensary was opened financed by the Houldsworth family and in 1914 the Houldsworth Homoeopathic Hospital opened at 5 Lynedoch Crescent. By 1931 the hospital had thirty beds and moved to larger premises at 1000 Great Western Road. The Lynedoch Crescent premises continued to serve as the Out-patient Dispensary until 1987 when it too was relocated to Great Western Road.
The Board of Management amalgamated with that of the Children's Homoeopathic Hospital in 1944, and after the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948, both hospitals came under the Board of Management for Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospitals. In 1974 the Hospital was placed in the Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board and in 1993 it became the responsibility of the West Glasgow University NHS Trust. In 1999 the Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital moved to new purpose-built premises in the grounds of Gartnavel General Hospital.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/15
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, charities, Children's Homoeopathic Hospital, Gartnavel General Hospital, Glasgow Homoeopathic Dispensary, Glasgow Homoeopathic Hospital, Greater Glasgow Health Board, homoeopathic dispensaries, homoeopathic hospitals, Houldsworth Homoeopathic Hospital, infirmaries, National Health Service, NHS, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, West Glasgow University NHS Trust, Ygorra