Advertisement for the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, in Ygorra, January 1934.
The Glasgow Eye Infirmary was founded in 1824 by Dr William Mackenzie and Dr George C Monteath. Mackenzie (1791-1868) was educated at Glasgow Grammar School and the University of Glasgow where he initially studied divinity, before changing to medicine. He obtained his diploma in 1815 and spent the next three years on the Continent. Following a short stay in London, he returned to Glasgow in 1919 where he became a Fellow of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, was appointed Professor of Anatomy and Surgery at Anderson’s College, and began in general practice.
Mackenzie left Anderson's College in 1828 and began lecturing at the University of Glasgow on "The structure, function and diseases of the eye". He graduated MD in 1833 and was elected FRCS in 1843. His greatest honour was his appointment in 1838 as Surgeon-Oculist in Scotland to Queen Victoria.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/13
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, anatomists, blindness, charities, disabilities, disabled, doctors, eye surgery, eyes, Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Glasgow Eye Infirmary, Glasgow Grammar School, infirmaries, oculists, ophthalmic physicians, professors, Surgeon-Oculists, surgeons, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, Ygorra