Advertisement for White Horse Distillers in Ygorra, January 1933.
White Horse Distillers was founded by James Logan Mackie in 1883 in Glasgow. The Mackies' was an old Stirlingshire family which had owned property in Edinburgh since the mid-17th century, including the White Horse Inn in Cannongate. Prince Charles Edward Stewart's officers had been quartered at the inn in 1745, and it later became a popular meeting place for literary and theatrical people.
In 1926 bottles of White Horse became the first in the whisky industry to feature a screw cap instead of a cork closure.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/12
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, distillers, distillery owners/managers, Mackie & Co, Scotch whisky, University of Glasgow, White Horse, White Horse Distillers, White Horse Inn