Advertisement for White Horse Scotch whisky in Ygorra, January 1932. The artist seeks to associate the product with feelings of national pride in the British Empire.
The White Horse brand was owned by a company that was founded in 1861 by James Logan Mackie, the owner of the old White Horse Inn in Edinburgh and the Lagavulin Distillery on Islay, and traded from offices in Glasgow under the name J L Mackie & Co. In 1879 he was joined by his nephew "Restless Peter" Mackie (1855-1924) and in 1890 the men formed a partnership, Mackie & Co (Distillers). "Restless Peter" recognised the importance of brand names in the promotion of a company and its products and in 1891 he registered the brand name "White Horse". In 1924 the firm's name became White Horse Distillers, by which time the brand had become one of the best-known in the world.
In 1927 White Horse Distillers was acquired by the Distillers Company Ltd.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/11
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, Distillers Company Ltd, distillery owners/managers, flags, J L Mackie & Co, knights, Scotch whisky, Union Jacks, United Distillers, University of Glasgow, White Horse, White Horse Distillers, White Horse Inn