Advertisement for the Victoria Infirmary in Ygorra, January 1932. The "Vicky" opened in Battlefield in 1890 as a voluntary hospital with eighty-four beds. By 1927 it had 380 beds, and a paying patients block was added in 1935. In the late 1940s the Infirmary was designated a major teaching hospital. Between 1959 and 1971 substantial upgrading and new building work was undertaken, including new laboratories, operating theatres and an Out-Patients Department.
In 1948 the management of the Victoria Infirmary was transferred to the National Health Service. In 1974 it was placed in the South Eastern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board and in 1992 it achieved trust status within the NHS. In 1999 the Victoria Infirmary NHS Trust was superseded by the larger Southern Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/11
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, charities appeals, Greater Glasgow Health Board, infirmaries, National Health Service, NHS, pay-beds, paying patients wards, private hospitals, Southern Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust, University of Glasgow, Victoria Infirmary, Victoria Infirmary NHS Trust, Victoria Infirmary of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, Ygorra