Advertisement for the Glasgow Eye Infirmary, in Ygorra, January 1932. The Infirmary was founded by Dr William Mackenzie and Dr George C Monteath and was a voluntary hospital that relied on public and corporate subscriptions and donations for funds.
By the late 1880s the Infirmary had over 100 beds in the city's West End and continued to run an out-patients department in the East End. In 1971 the in-patient accommodation was destroyed by fire but an out-patients department was continued in the Berkeley Street building.
From 1948 to 1974 the Glasgow Eye Infirmary was under the Board of Management for Glasgow Western (later Western and Gartnavel) Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board, and in 1993 it became the responsibility of the West Glasgow University NHS Trust. In 2002 the Infirmary was relocated at Gartnavel General Hospital in Hyndland.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/11
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, cartoons, charities, charities appeals, fund raising, Gartnavel General Hospital, Glasgow Eye Infirmary, Glasgow Western and Gartnavel Hospitals, Glasgow Western Hospitals, Greater Glasgow Health Board, infirmaries, magicians, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, West Glasgow University NHS Trust, Ygorra