Advertisement for the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, in Ygorra, 1931. Until its management was transferred to the new National Health Service in 1948, the Infirmary was run as a voluntary hospital funded almost entirely by public and private donations and bequests.
During the 1960s a two-phase replacement of the Infirmary's buildings was planned in response to extensive changes to the city's road network. Designs for a new hospital by the architects Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson were accepted, and work began on the foundations in 1973. Phase one was completed in 1981, but the 1914 buildings will remain in use for the forseeable future.
Since 1999 the Royal has been a member of North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust which also includes the Western Infirmary, Gartnavel General, the Dental Hospital and Stobhill Hospital.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/10
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson, cartoons, charities, charities appeals, fund raising, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow Royal Infirmary University NHS Trust, Greater Glasgow Health Board, infirmaries, National Health Service, NHS, North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust, space travel, spaceships, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, Ygorra