Advertisement illustrating the important work of Glasgow Royal Infirmary in Ygorra, 1929. The Infirmary opened in 1794 and was funded by subscriptions and donations from members of the public, employers and charities.
In 1929 the Local Government (Scotland) Act transferred control of Poor Law hospitals to local authorities and these hospitals were opened to all inhabitants, not only the sick poor. Like other voluntary hospitals, the Royal was eager to maintain its independence and to emphasise that it could provide specialist services unavailable at the general hospitals. Its accident and emergency services are highlighted in this advertisement, the year after the Infirmary had opened a new casualty block.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/8
Glasgow University Archive Services
accidents and emergencies, advertisements, cartoons, charities appeals, doctors, fund raising, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, infirmaries, medicine, nurses, physicians and surgeons, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, Ygorra