Advertisement for Beattie's Bread in Ygorra, 1929.
William Beattie opened his first bakery in Glasgow in 1876 and expanded with the rapid growth in demand for baked bread in the city at the end of the 19th century. Glasgow proved to be an excellent base for the business, with ingredients readily available from the city's mills and the port, and excellent transport links with the rest of Scotland. In 1886 Beattie bought land on Paton Street, Dennistoun and built the Vienna Bakery, which became better known throughout Scotland as the Dennistoun Bakery. By 1900 the firm employed around 200 people and in 1917 it became a private limited company.
In 1913 Beattie's began manufacturing confectionery and cakes and Beattie's Biscuits was founded in 1928 to cater further for the famous Scottish sweet tooth. Beattie's subsequently acquired a number of its competitors including Lang & Stevenson in 1936 and W D Scott in 1953.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/8
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, bakeries, bakers, Beattie's Biscuits, Beattie's Bread, cakes, clowns, confectionery, Dennistoun Bakery, Lang & Stevenson, pan bread, pan loafs, University of Glasgow, Vienna Bakery, W D Scott, William Beattie, Ygorra