Advertisement for The Glasgow Eye Infirmary in the student charities magazine Ygorra, 1928.
The Infirmary was founded by Dr William Mackenzie, a Glasgow ophthalmologist, and Dr George C Monteath, the foremost Glasgow oculist of the day, and funds were raised through subscriptions. The Glasgow Eye Infirmary opened near Glasgow Cross in 1824, in modest premises with only four beds.
In 1835 the Infirmary moved to 14 College Street, but the area was not salubrious, and the building ran with damp. In 1852 it moved again, to Charlotte Street near the University of Glasgow. However in 1870 the University moved to Gilmorehill in the west end of Glasgow. To help maintain close links with the University it was decided that the Infirmary should move once more and in 1874 it transferred to a new building at the corner of Berkeley Street and Claremont Street in Kelvingrove.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/7
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, charities, charities appeals, children, dispensaries, doctors, eye infirmaries, fund raising, Glasgow Eye Infirmary, Glasgow Western Hospitals, Greater Glasgow Health Board, hospital wards, nurses, oculists, opthalmologists, patients, physicians and surgeons, Spencer Research Committee, toys, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, West Glasgow University NHS Trust, Western and Gartnavel Hospitals, women, Ygorra