Advertisement for the Savings Bank of Glasgow in Glasgow University Magazine, 1970.
The National Security Savings Bank of Glasgow was established in 1836 by the amalgamation of a number of smaller savings banks. Its first office consisted of two rooms in Hutchesons' Hospital in Ingram Street. In 1887 the bank became known as the Savings Bank of Glasgow. Through the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries, it was one of the most influential of all the Trustee Savings Banks in the United Kingdom.
In 1974 the Glasgow bank amalgamated with TSBs from surrounding areas to form the West of Scotland Trustee Savings Bank, the largest grouping in Scotland. In 1983 this group was merged with the South of Scotland, Tayside and Central Scotland and Aberdeen Trustee Savings Banks to form TSB Scotland, the largest of the four regional TSBs. In 1986 the TSB was "privatised" with customers receiving shares in the new limited company and, in 1995, TSB Group merged with Lloyds Bank to form Lloyds TSB Group.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/68
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, banking, banks, Glasgow University Magazine, GUM, investments, Lloyds Bank, Lloyds TSB Group, National Security Savings Bank of Glasgow, Savings Bank of Glasgow, savings plans, TSB, TSB Group, TSB Scotland, unit trusts, University of Glasgow, West of Scotland Trustee Savings Bank, women