Advertisement for Bank of Scotland in Glasgow University Magazine, January 1968.
Bank of Scotland is Scotland's oldest bank and was established by an Act of the Parliament of Scotland on 17 July 1695, primarily to help develop Scotland's trade with England and the Low Countries. The bank was based in Edinburgh but in 1774 the first branches were opened in Dumfries and Kelso. By 1795 there were twenty-seven branches in Scotland, and by 2002 the number had grown to 340, spread across the United Kingdom.
In 1969 the Bank of Scotland invested in the North Sea oil industry, prompting the establishment of branches around the world. It also made some important amalgamations, including those with the Union Bank of Scotland in 1955, and with the British Linen Bank in 1971. In 2001 Bank of Scotland merged with the former building society the Halifax, to form HBOS.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/66
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, Bank of Scotland, bankers, banking, banks, British Linen Bank, building societies, Glasgow University Magazine, GUM, Halifax Building Society, HBOS, medical instruments, stethoscopes, Union Bank of Scotland