Advertisement for Rolls-Royce Scottish Group in Glasgow University Magazine, February 1962.
In 1938 the engineering firm Rolls-Royce took possession of a factory that had been constructed on the new Hillington estate for the Air Ministry, as preparations for a war with Nazi Germany gained pace. By mid-1940 the new plant comprised fourteen blocks each covering 3 acres, and the workforce rose to 25,000 people. Taking into account sub-contracts and supply work, it has been estimated that at the peak of wartime production the factory was responsible for the employment of 45,000 people.
In 1947 Rolls-Royce acquired the Hillington plant from the Government and Rolls-Royce (Scotland) was established, quickly proving itself as an efficient service and repair division. In the 1950s the company went through a major period of expansion in Scotland, opening factories at Blantyre, Larkhall and Cardonald. This continued with the construction of a factory at East Kilbride and an engineering plant at Hamilton.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/60
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, aeronautics, Air Ministry, airplanes, engineers, engines, Glasgow University Magazine, graduates, GUM, industries, jet engines, mechanical engineers, Rolls-Royce, Rolls-Royce (Scotland), Rolls-Royce Scottish Group, Second World War, University of Glasgow