Advertisement for the Glasgow Herald newspaper in Glasgow University Magazine, January 1960.
The Glasgow Herald is one of the oldest national newspapers in the English-speaking world. First published in January 1783 as the Advertiser, it established itself as the voice of the businessman in the West of Scotland. Until 1793 it appeared weekly, afterwards on Mondays and Fridays, and it became a daily newspaper in 1859. The paper's first owner and editor was John Mennons, originally an Edinburgh printer.
In 1802 the paper's name changed to the Glasgow Herald and Advertiser, in 1804 to Glasgow Herald, and finally in 1834 to the Glasgow Herald. By 1855 it had become sufficiently successful to publish a third edition on Wednesdays, and in James Pagan it had its first professional journalist as editor.
A sister paper, the Evening Times was launched in 1876 with great success. The partnership which owned the newspapers became a private limited company in 1888, and a public company in 1920.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/58
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, Advertiser, Evening Times, Glasgow Herald, Glasgow Herald and Advertiser, Glasgow University Magazine, GUM, Herald, journalists, newspaper editors, newspaper publishers, newspapers, University of Glasgow