Advertisement in Glasgow University Magazine 24 October 1928 for Burberry coats on sale at Copland & Lye's department store.
Copland & Lye was founded in 1878 by William Copland and John Lyle, who opened a store in Argyle Street. In the 1890s the firm passed to the family of Robert A Ogg, senior partner in the firm of Ogg & Hodge.
The firm's philosophy was to sell quality goods at affordable prices, in attractive stores with a high level of customer services. This was highlighted in the firm's brochure of 1910, which emphasised that "Good merchandise is useless without good service… Small transactions will lead to big ones." The policy proved a great success, and the firm opened stores in Sauchiehall Street, Wellington Street and Bath Street.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/36
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, Burberry raincoats, Copland & Lye, department stores, drapers, fashions, Glasgow University Magazine, GUM, Ogg & Hodge, outfitters, shopping, shops, tailors, University of Glasgow