Advertisement in Glasgow University Magazine 16 May 1923, for R W Forsyth's cricket and tennis clothing. Forsyth's proudly advertised that the firm was an official outfitter to the Glasgow University Athletic Club.
The first game of cricket to be played in Scotland was between Glasgow University Cricket Club (GUCC) and Perth Cricket Club at Stirling in 1829. In the early years GUCC struggled to attract members, but in 1908 the club secretary wrote in GUM, of "a new era in the history of cricket in the University". By 1912 the Annual General Meeting had an attendance of 50, and the club was able to field two University XIs.
The 1930s provided the high point for the club, with three consecutive Scottish Universities championships, and two players (R O MacKenna and Harold Sheppard) winning international caps. The club won another Scottish Universities Championship in 1941.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/32
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, blazers, clothing manufacturers, cravates, cricket, cricketers, drapers, fashions, Glasgow University Athletic Club, Glasgow University Cricket Club, Glasgow University Magazine, GUAC, GUCC, GUM, outfitters, Perth Cricket Club, R W Forsyth, Scottish Universities Championship, shopping, shops, sport, sportswear, tailors, tennis, University of Glasgow