Advertisement for McLaren & Son, military and gentlemen's outfitters in Gordon Street and St Vincent Street, in Glasgow University Magazine 5 December 1917. Many students enlisted in the armed forces during the First World War and McLarens advertised trench coats and other clothing suited to service in the trenches of the Western Front.
McLaren & Son was acquired by the department store group House of Fraser in May 1948. It was the first company to be acquired by House of Fraser after the latter had converted to a public company in December 1947.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/29
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, cadets, clothes, clothing, clothing manufacturers, department stores, drapers, fashions, First World War, Glasgow University Magazine, GUM, House of Fraser, McLaren & Son, officers, outfitters, retail, shopping, shops, smoking, soldiers, tailors, trench coats, uniforms, University of Glasgow