Advertisement for The "New Victoria" Cycle Manufacturing Co of Scotland in Glasgow University Magazine 17 March 1897. In the 1890s, long before cars became common on Glasgow streets, bicycles were a fashionable form of transport and manufactures were eager to capture the student market.
The "New Victoria" Cycle Manufacturing Co of Scotland was based in Dennistoun, but had premises across Glasgow. Customers could watch their bicycles being made at the workshops in Cathedral Street and Hanover Street. The firm subsequently changed its name, first to the Victoria Manufacturing Co, and later to The Victoria Cycle Co, and diversified into the manufacture of motor cycles.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/9
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, bicycle manufacturers & repairers, bicycles, cycling, Glasgow University Magazine, GUM, New Victoria Cycle Manufacturing Co of Scotland, University of Glasgow, Victoria Cycle Company, Victoria Manufacturing Company