Advertisement in Glasgow University Magazine 3 February 1892 for James Lyle, optician and scientific instrument maker.
James Lyle began his career in 1846, when he set up in partnership with a Mr Gardner as Messrs Gardner & Lyle. The partnership was dissolved in 1891, and Lyle continued alone in ample premises in West George Street.
The firm manufactured and sold a wide range of scientific and mathematical instruments, including telescopes, microscopes, batteries, and theodolites. Lanterns and lantern slides were in great demand at universities during the late Victorian period, allowing lecturers to illustrate their lectures and presentations by projecting illustrations on to screens or bare walls in the lecture room.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/4
Glasgow University Archive Services
barometers, binoculars, eyeglasses, Glasgow University Magazine, GUM, microscopes, opticians, scientific instrument makers, spectacles, telescopes, theodolites, thermometers, University of Glasgow