John Caird (1820-1898) was Principal of the University of Glasgow 1873-1898.
Caird was awarded the degree of MA by the University of Glasgow in 1845, and an honorary DD in 1860. He became a minister in Edinburgh and Perthshire before becoming minister of Park Church in 1857. He was appointed to the chair of Theology at the University of Glasgow in 1862 and became Principal eleven years later.
In 1870 Caird guided the University from High Street to its new home on Gilmorehill. He has been described as a "dynamic and progressive" principal, and he supported the aims of the Glasgow Association for the Higher Education of Women, formed in 1877. He was less liberal in his attitudes towards the demon drink: with other University professors he strenuously, but ultimately unsuccessfully, opposed the granting of a licence to the owner of Tennent's Bar on Byres Road, a watering hole that was to become very popular with staff and students alike.
Reference: Memorials of the Old College of Glasgow, Glasgow, 1871
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow University Archive Services
Glasgow Association for the Higher Education of Women, licensing, ministers, Park Church, principals, professors, pubs, temperance, Tennent's Bar, University of Glasgow