The ruins of the City Theatre, 20 November 1845.
The City Theatre was built by John Henry Anderson in 1845 in Jail Square, on the edge of Glasgow Green. It burned down on 18 November that year, just five months after opening. The building in the background is Cooke's Circus, which was destroyed by fire on 2 December 1845.
Reference: STA PH 480
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
circuses, City Theatre, Cooke's Circus, fires, Glasgow Green, theatres