The Rouken Glen Entertainers, c 1915, from a postcard in Jimmy Logan's collection of theatre memorabilia.
Rouken Glen Park was at one time a popular destination for Glasgwegian day trippers, who arrived by tramcar from the city. Although mostly woodland, the park was popular for its boating lake, waterfall and bandstand, where regular entertainment was provided on a Sunday.
Rouken Glen takes its name from the old Rock End Meal Mill that was situated there. The lands were formerly owned by the Earls of Eglinton; the Smith family of Glasgow (associated with Madeleine Smith of murder trial fame); the Crum family of Thornliebank and Archibald Cameron Corbett, MP for Tradeston. The latter gifted the estate and mansion to the citizens of Glasgow. It was opened to the public on 25 May 1906.
Reference: STA JLC PP 360
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
bandstands, day trippers, day trips, entertainment, excursions, holidays, music, outings, parks, Rouken Glen Entertainers, Rouken Glen Estate, Rouken Glen Park, shows, singers, singing troupes