An unidentified man and Ma, Jimmy and Pa Logan of the Logan Family on the stage of the Metropole Theatre in Stockwell Street in 1961, surveying the damage in the aftermath of a fire which resulted in the building's demolition. The Logan Family had become a popular act in the city after starring in summer shows at the theatre during the late 1940s and 1950s.
The Metropole had a chequered health and safety record. Situated next to a chicken slaughter-house, the theatre was frequently visited by rats. This was a particular problem for the chorus girls whose dressing rooms were located on the lowest level under the stage. Each night before entering their rooms they would flick their light switches on and throw their shoes into the room to chase away any unwelcome visitors. It is said that, on occasions, rats scared musicians from the orchestra pit in front of the stage during a performance.
Reference: STA JLC 46/92
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
comedians, entertainers, fires, interiors, Metropole Theatre, rats, Scotia Music Hall, Scotia Variety Theatre, stages, theatres, variety