Yorkhill House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
It is believed that the Romans once built a fort on Yorkhill, which is close to the old river ford between Govan and Partick. Yorkhill Park became a part of the estate of Over Newton and Robert Fulton built the mansion there c 1805. John Graham Gilbert added the wing shown on the left of the house in this view.
The mansion was demolished before the First World War and new buildings for the Royal Hospital for Sick Children were built on the site.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, mansions, Romans, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Yorkhill House