The Camlachie Mansion, or "Wolfe's House", photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The house, which had become the property of the wine and spirit merchant Joseph Stirling by 1870, was built by the Jacobite John Walkinshaw of Camlachie and Barrowfield in 1720. It was sold in 1734 to a merchant, John Orr and occupied in 1749 time by James Wolfe, who was then a young Lieutenant Colonel stationed in the city and who became a national hero when he captured (and was killed at) Quebec in 1759. He was less famous for his view that "the women (of Glasgow) are coarse, cold, and cunning..."!
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Camlachie Mansion, country houses, generals, mansions, wine and spirit merchants, Wolfe's House, women