Westthorn House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The Westthorn Estate, situated between Belvidere and Dalbeth on the north bank of the River Clyde, was held by the Wardrop family for many generations. In 1819 it was acquired by the distiller Thomas Harvey or Harvie, who built the mansion. Additions were made in 1830.
Harvey built two high walls (known as "Harvey's Dykes") at the east and west end of the estate, to block public access to a riverside path that crossed his estate. In 1822 a rioting mob was dispersed by the militia as it attempted to pull down one of the dykes. A famous and drawn-out legal action commenced, and Harvey was forced to grant public access to the path.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
distillers, Harvey's Dyke, Harvie's Dyke, paths, riots