Tollcross House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
James Dunlop (1742-1816), the eldest son of Colin Dunlop of Carmyle, acquired the Tollcross estate c 1810. It passed to his son Colin (1775-1837) and then to Colin's nephew James, who built the mansion (designed by David Bryce) on the site of an older house. The estate was purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1896 and Tollcross Park was opened there the following year. The house became a children's museum and then fell into disrepair, but was restored in the early 21st century and in 2003 it is a care home for the elderly.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
care homes, country houses, mansions, old people's homes, parks, tobacco lords, tobacco merchants, Tollcross Children's Museum, Tollcross House, Tollcross Park