Stobcross House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The mansion stood on an avenue that became known (after it was widened and straightened) as Stobcross Street.
The merchant John Orr acquired the estate in 1745 and he made major improvements to the old house there. His son Matthew sold a portion of the estate that he had named Finnieston in honour of his old tutor, Reverend John Finnie.
Stobcross House had been demolished by 1878, when much of the estate had been sold as the site for Queen's Dock.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, docks, mansions, Queen's Dock, Stobcross House