Springbank House, photographed by Thomas Annan in 1870.
The mansion was built to the south of what became London Road. The estate covered about 20 acres, nestling on the bend on the river between Belvidere to the east and the Water Works Road (later Springfield Road) to the west.
Originally known as Newlands Croft, and estate was a part of Wester Dalbeth. It was acquired c 1780 by the merchant James Wardrop (d 1783) who built the mansion near the Clyde and named it and the estate Springbank.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
country houses, mansions, Newlands Croft, Springbank House